The Honest Life of an American 25-year-old.


"Millennials want fame and success without the work to get there," said 36-year-old Timothy, a self-built successful business owner.
Timothy is on the cusp of the Generation X'ers and Millennials. Or, as I like to say, the hard workers that are just a little entitled.

Me, being 25-years-old, and real confused about life, wondered how much of this idea may pertain to me.

"Ah, I don't want to be famous, I don't even want to live in a city because... too many people," I thought. 

But I do have an Instagram account and can't help but being a little happy when a new follower from the south of Spain somehow finds me and comments, "Me like your smile".  

I do have big dreams. That are all over the map. 

Like becoming an influencer in writing, starting a recovery home, moving to Africa, traveling around the world and writing people's stories. Just to name a few. 

And I realized that, yeah, I do have high expectations for myself. And all the above stated things must happen by the time I turn 30, otherwise it's all over and I failed. 

Our generation, I believe, is the first generation to have the true freedom to pursue their  dreams on a massive scale. Young twenty-somethings are starting businesses in photography, selling passion planners and ideas to save the ocean from plastic pollution. And they're making it. 

When your basic needs are taken care of, there is space to seek higher goals and dreams.

But it has been a process. 

Our grandparents generation worked hard, roots in the ground, to gain land and a beginning, our parents generation maintained it, grew their lives in the fresh soil and our generation was birthed into a greater world of travel, opportunity and freedom. 

The downside of these really, really high expectations are the discovery of anxiety, depression and purposelessness, if you aren't one of those that have 125k followers on Instagram and a lucrative business by 27. 

In this post, I want to just throw out the idea that maybe your purpose extends far beyond your twenties. 

And maybe "failure is not the opposite of success, but it is part of it". - Karamo Brown 

And maybe momma is still right, you shouldn't compare yourself anyways.

Just to be completely transparent in a world of social media perfection, my twenties haven't been easy. At all. 

Twenty-three for me was fantastic, then I broke a few hearts, including my own, changed jobs, got injured and had to stop running and competing, gained some weight, went to the doctor for depression, saw a therapist, contemplated moving, decided to stay.... 

So many choices happen at this stage of life. It's completely overwhelming. 

And I had no idea upon graduation from college with a Creative Writing degree that it would be like this. 

In the midst of it all, I can truly say to you that I have NO detailed plan. Not for the next year, next month or tomorrow. 

What I can say, with confidence, is that it'll all work out. 

For you and me. And those dreams that settle in your soul, are already alive. 

All things start as a small seed. 

It's your job to nurture it, to not give up on it and be patient as it grows day by day. 

One quest I am on right now is to live a transparent life and encourage others to do the same. To be honest and open about the reality of life. I think honesty transforms bitterness, loneliness and sadness into a group of individuals standing as one.

Everyone has a story. And yours is just as important as theirs.

If you want to share part of yours, visit https://www.livelifeunmaskd.com/

Much love to you on your journey.























Comments

Popular Posts