Destination Kilimanjaro


The day has come.

My flight departs today at 4:04pm from Minneapolis to Chicago.
Chicago to Qatar ---> 18 hour layover ---> Qatar to Kilimanjaro airport. 

Several people have made comments like, "I should go there someday..." or "it would be a nice thing to do.." 

And I just say "no". 

It's not for everyone and that's okay. It's totally okay to say you never want to travel to Africa.

There are many things I have zero desire to pursue. Like being a teacher. Bless ALL OF YOU that desire to be/are teachers. 

However, Africa is one thing that has always been in my blood. Since I was a little girl, I have been enthralled with that culture of bright colors and the freedom to be loud. Africa is loud. Loud in their greetings. Loud in their worship. Loud in their actions. 

Africa is a place of confidence and confidence is attractive. 

In 2015, I spent 7 months in South Africa volunteering with a nonprofit called CATCH projects. My original return flight was 3 months however I extended it to 7, which did get me kicked out of the country for 5 years but it was totally worth it. 

I plan to leave Tanzania on the original return flight this time. That will give me 3 weeks in Tanzania.

In Tanzania, I will be working with Make A Difference, a nonprofit organization that operates in Africa and India.

During my time in Tanzania, I will be meeting with a group of students that desire to pursue higher education. Right now, they do not have access to that option. Through sponsors, we are hoping to give these kiddos the chance to pursue their dreams - whatever that may be. Everyone deserves a chance.

Education is so powerful.

And so easily accessible to United States citizens.

The Executive Director of CATCH (South Africa) told me that most of the kiddos we were working with (250 kids from the village of Mzamomhle) just wanted to have access to good education.

The way of life in Africa is so different from what I knew growing up. I am inspired by the culture of openness and the ability to express joy through the uncertainties.

Nothing is guaranteed therefore they are thankful for everything.

And worship. Sometimes services will run for 3-4 hours. In the middle of the message, the people will break out in spontaneous worship. Adhering to no schedule. Just there to fully embrace the presence of their Savior and King.

Even though I have no idea what they are singing in Swahili, the presence of a powerful God is so thick that it doesn't matter. It's all worship, It's all the same, no matter what language.

I believe that fulfillment can only be found outside of ourselves. 

Find what is fulfilling and give all of yourself to making that happen. I am traveling to Tanzania to not only fulfill something for others but to fulfill something for myself too.

Find what fulfills you and don't quit until you do.













Comments

Popular Posts