“I might have killed a bat”


Thursday, March 6, 2014
            Well, I gotta tell y’all that I had a visitor last night. Just as I was falling asleep, I heard a loud smack against my window. There are two sides to the window, one was open and the other was shut. I awoke, and then lay there, in the dark, listening to something run into the walls, door, and window. I switched on my night-light to see a bat cruising around in circles, taking random dives right at my face. My heart was beating so fast as I covered, uncovered and recovered my face with my blanket. The dodging game went on for a while, and then realized I need to stop it… somehow. I stood up, grabbed a towel and started whacking the air like a smoke alarm was going off. I got one good whack and then the bat fell on my bed. Good. Great. Grand. Perfect landing. Right on my bed. It was still moving, so I had to think quickly. I walked halfway down the steps to see Kandas, one of my housemates. I said, “I might have killed a bat”. He laughed and then came up and took it outside. He showed me its little sharp teeth and then the bat flew away.
            Prior to the bat episode, I was having trouble sleeping because of a conversation I had with Mr. President. He is a foster boy that lives at CATCH. I call him Mr. President, along with all of his classmates, because he has major dreams to change the world. Mr. President came home after school and I asked him how his day went. He looked down and said it was okay. He went on to explain that he brought a girl flowers in class, the first lady, and asked a friend to deliver them to her. She received them in class, which caused the attention to shift from the teacher to the flowers. The teacher was angry that the flowers distracted the students and so he took Mr. President and beat him. He showed me video of the event. At that moment, I wanted to march right into that school and share a few words with Mr. Teacher. I was informed that if the kids don’t want to be beaten, they could pay the teacher instead. Mr. President has dreams to make films in Hollywood. He talks about the moral values of those in authority and says that, “It’s just not right”. Seeing the videos and hearing the stories saddened my heart. Currently, I am working with him to make a proposal letter. He wants to film a video informing youth about teen pregnancies, HIV/AIDS and making moral decisions. He is such a young man of God. It’s very encouraging to meet youth such as him.
There’s an army rising up to break every chain.
Goodnight now.

Comments

Popular Posts