Gaining Wisdom is the Wisest Thing We Can Do



Since gaining wisdom is the wisest thing we can do, I’ve decided to seek just that. 
Where does wisdom come from?
Besides the 66 books of wisdom from God, I think that learning from others is the best way to gain wisdom. Why wouldn’t we seek the wisdom of those that have gone before us?
No matter what age you are currently at, you know and understand aspects of life that younger generations do not understand. You already have wisdom to share. In my current stage in life, I wish I could meet with all the middle/high school students to tell them a few things. Their parents try to tell them, but they don’t listen. For some reason, the voice of wisdom needs to be an outside voice for it to render valid.

 I would tell them that –

1.     Before you try to discover where you fit in, discover what shape you are.
2.     The number of friends you have now won’t determine how successful you are later.
3.      Saving yourself for marriage is the most respectful thing you can do for your future spouse and you.
4.     Your parents actually do have your best interest in mind.
5.     Discipline now leads to discipline later.
6.     Act like a sponge, and learn from others around you.
7.     The things you worry about now, you will laugh at later. Laugh now.
8.     Everybody feels awkward in gym class.
9.     Do not let anyone treat you like a commodity. You’re not for sale.
10. You are valuable, and waiting for someone that see’s you as such is completely worth it.

I know it’s difficult to receive advice like this and actually believe it. Because your current stage in life consumes you and it’s hard to see beyond the present. I was a victim to this during a recent conversation with my Dad.
            Usually, the technical conversations go to Dad and the emotional ones go to Mom. This time, a technical conversation about student loans turned into an emotional one. Apparently living with four girls has taught my Dad how to respond appropriately, because he said the perfect thing. The weight of student loans was getting heavier as I slid towards graduation – with a degree in creative writing. It was like right there, on the phone with Dad, I realized that student loans could keep me from pursing my passion. I was going to owe a lot of money. I suddenly pictured myself as a homeless writer on the streets of NY.

I began to cry and the cracks in my voice allowed me to get one thing out, “I’m just scared.” 

 He said, “Em, I want you to write this down somewhere. And years later, you will laugh at it. We are a family and we support you in pursuing your dream. You don’t know what the future holds, so don’t worry about that right now.”

The thoughts and worries still come. However, I do not allow them to overwhelm me. Every college student worries about the unknown world of post-graduation. I’ve learned to construct a “dismiss” button, and negative thoughts deserve the dismiss button every time.

Looking forward, I see many generations that have come before me. I am extremely blessed to have two 86-year-old grandparents. Every Friday, my grandpa meets for breakfast with a few others. These are my favorite meetings. Their company is the warmest and most inviting company out of any I’ve experienced. Sharing breakfast with these sweet individuals has taught me to slow down. 
Grandpa never drives over the speed limit. He introduces himself to others. He fought for his wife when she became an alcoholic, even when she didn’t want him to. He waits patiently. Mankato Oil has always changed the oil in his car, and they always will. MN Valley Credit Union is where he banks, and always will. He is content.
His time and energy is spent on relationship. He makes a decision and then sticks to it. He doesn’t bend the rules.
Us twenty/thirty-somethings are so stimulated by this glittering world of entertainment, I’m afraid we forgot how to be content. I’m even more afraid that it is shattering our marriages. The person that once completed you suddenly doesn’t fit the part anymore. We get bored, so we try something else out. Here is a great message about that issue: Watch it! We need to start trusting in our own decisions and sticking to them. Becoming a sponge is the smartest thing we can do. Observe the patterns of life that create the people around us.

 Soak it up, like Spongebob. 



           

Comments

Popular Posts