I have a beautiful country?


Tuesday, February 18 2014



            I dominated a wasp nest today. It was suckled in-between the white arching brick outside of the window. All of the windows are open, but they have some sort of blocking, weather it be metal bars or circular bricks. A worker at CATCH was cleaning the windows when she suddenly stepped back and looked threatened. I was like aww snap, what’s going down now? She pointed to a singular wasp buzzing freely in the air. With little detective work, we found the source. We had way too much fun with this wasp nest. I grabbed a spray and then went outside for the kill. I felt like I was entering a paintball arena, and could be attacked at any moment. I moved cautiously, and then the spray was on. I just kept spraying and spraying, like overkill spraying. She cheered me on from inside the window. Then she took a plant leaf and finished the wasp nest off by detaching, spraying and disposing.
            My day is filled with a wide range of events. The building at CATCH is quite small, with a couple rooms for offices, a main open area, kitchen and bathroom. It is about the size of a small families home.  This doesn’t bother me, because I like being in close quarters with everyone. It makes the day much more colorful. One moment we are killing a wasp nest, the next we are praying over someone, and the next, boys are trying on girl’s dresses, using basketballs to see what it’s like to be pregnant. My goodness we laughed at that last scene. He is one of the club leaders. He disappeared into a room, and came back out with a floor length dress, stuffed with socks for boobs and netball for a baby bump. I took video. :D
            Young boys (9-13) start trickling in for club around 3 o’clock, just after they are finished with school. I help with the planning of boys club and then go straight to the monkey bars to hang out with my little monkeys. So many little bodies fit on those bars. We cannot understand one another, but we sure have fun. They are learning how to count in English, so we count everything. I usually start off by counting all the monkeys. They smile and giggle as I point to each one and count, “ one monkey, two monkey, three monkey…” It’s so cute when they count. They usually make it to ten, and then it’s fair game as to what comes next; “ Ten monkey, thirty monkey, twenty monkey”. Then, the other monkeys usually correct them. I have been going for runs nightly, it’s a great route. I run down by the ocean, and taste the salty mist with every stride. This is where I test out my Xhosa. ‘Molo’ is the singular variation of hello in Xhosa.  On my run today, I brought bread with me and chatted to people along the way. While giving bread, I asked one man, “Do you know about eternal bread?” His face lit up and he smiled revealing few teeth, and took out a booklet with scripture on it. He said, “Jesus”. I said, “Well then, you are my brother!!”
             I met two young men, probably about my age, and talked to them. They were going home from work, and said they were hungry. I gave them bread and then we started talking. They began to guess where I am from. Guess number one: France. Guess number two: Sweden. I’m not sure why they didn’t guess Sudan? I mean, look at me! Then, I said, “You live in a beautiful country”.  They didn’t seem to think so. One replied, “I have a beautiful country?” Talk about heart breaking, this definitely was. I went on highlighting all of the beauty, but sometimes it’s hard to see past the bad. Just then, two little girls came running up behind me. They hugged me and said, “We know you!!” Such joy in those little faces. I began to walk with them. They are nine years old and walking miles to the store by themselves. I was like, “Do your parents know that you are out here?” They laughed at me! I told them I am going for a run, and they said, “We want to come with you!!” With their bare feet and all. There is broken glass, crushed tin and bottle caps on the street. They so wanted to come with. I just walked them to the store and promised to see them tomorrow at girls club.
Thinking about today, I realized, we see all of our imperfections and wonder how anyone can find us beautiful. We are so critical of ourselves. Then, someone comes along and tells you that you are beautiful, worthy and important. It changes a person. We are imperfectly marvelous. We are created in Gods image. I’m still trying to understand what that means. It sounds quite weighty. We can focus on all of our imperfections and regard ourselves as ugly, or listen to what God says about us. We are His workmanship! Ah, He cares about me! Same thing goes for this Country. South Africa, you are beautiful, worthy and important!
Goodnight to all! Aye, ‘mericans, don’t forget, you are beautiful too! XOXO

p.s. sometimes, at night, I read through that secret little booklet that my mom put together. I did so good saying goodbye to everyone, then she laid down the hammer by giving me this booklet. I started flipping through the pages filled with pictures and scripture and… PEOPLE WROTE NOTES IN IT!! My family and I were sitting at a Mexican restaurant the night before my flight out of Minneapolis, and the waiter came by to take my plate. I looked up from the booklet and said, “I’m just crying, it’s okay, they are happy tears”. Haha and kept crying as I read each and every sweet note.
I love you all terribly too much. <3

Comments

Popular Posts