Hike Kilimanjaro for Kiddos

After two days in Tanzania, my body is slowly adjusting. I keep waking up at 3-4am feeling very awake and find it a struggle to fall back asleep.

On Monday we visited the MAD office where Janeth (local director of MAD) and I went over basic introduction of the culture and local need for quality education. Another volunteer from Australia, Naomi, traveled with us as well.

While visiting the office, which hosts several nonprofit organizations, there was a knock on the door.

Two men stood in the hallway asking for mine and Naomi's documentation. I have been warned not to give my information to just anyone claiming to be government related. After they explained what they needed, I asked for their information. One man showed me his ID.

The men requested that we provide our passports and visas, which neither of us had. Naomi and I walked back to the guesthouse (20 minute walk) and returned to show them we had correct documentation.

After the men left, Janeth shared that if a local person discovers a person without proper documentation, they will get paid from the government. She also said that she has never been questioned at the MAD office before.

I have enjoyed walking everywhere and am beginning to get my bearings. Still not comfortable with traveling solo however, especially as a white female.

In the afternoon we met with the Royal school. A private boarding school where most of the MAD students attend. I was warmly greeted and am looking forward to spending more time with them.

Many of the children have been affected by HIV/AIDS. Either they themselves are HIV positive or have parents that are HIV positive and some have parents that have passed away.

One little girl has sixteen siblings and both of her parents have passed away.

We had a conference with the Executive Director of MAD (she lives in Idaho) to outline my schedule while I'm here in Tanzania.

I will be introducing creative writing to the students MAD sponsors at the Royal school. I learned tonight that the principal named the school "Royal" because all students should feel like royalty. Their motto is, "Do your best and leave the rest to God".

Theresa said the students are rarely encouraged to express creativity. They are very solidified in textbook knowledge and learning to go about a subject in a specific way. Through the introduction of creative subjects, it will develop more individuality.

I will be posting on Instagram about daily events and updating MADs blog.

As I get to know the students better, we are planning to have a drugs/alcohol talk, as there is a major problem with alcohol but it's not talked about much.

Lastly, I will be reaching out to social groups that may have interest in one of the following adventure events:

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro

Climbing Mount Everest

Hiking the Dolomites through Venice

Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu

Patagonia Expedition

How cool is it that MAD fundraises in this way? By getting people out, exploring, hiking, climbing and making a difference!

Follow this link to learn more. If you know of any social groups that would be interested in doing one of these adventure activities, please let me know!!

Blessings all!










Comments

Popular Posts