Destinations

 



I started riding the bus this semester. It runs right in front of my house on the :32 of every hour. My feet are on campus within eighteen minutes.
            During that short amount of time I watch a wide variety of individuals get on and get off the bus. I’m very thankful for the diversity on Mankato State University’s campus. Several conversations can be taking place at the same time in three, four or more different languages across the bus. Age also does not discriminate, I’ve seen kids (and I wonder “where is your momma??”) and I’ve seen older people that seem to be in their sixties or even seventies. Each person has a different face, personality, presence and destination. Stepping on or stepping off. Sitting down or standing up. Routine-ful or routine-less. Prepared or unprepared. Relaxed or focused. Passengers file on and passengers file off.
            As a college student, my mind is not focused where it should be. I am not thinking about my upcoming exams, I’m thinking about the purpose of each individual that files on and off the bus.
What are their passions?
Their desires?
Why were they created?
            I believe that each person has a specific role on this earth that only they can fulfill. Paul explains “God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them” (Romans 8:28).  
Therefore each of us has an interwoven answer to those questions above. God has knitted unique discoveries within our hearts to find, seek and fulfill which are illustrated when we seek Him.
            I am also reminded that “God desires that all be saved and to understand the truth” (1 Timothy 2:3). So, God causes all things to work together for the good of those that love him AND he desires this for everyone. Now going back to the bus scene, each of those individuals getting on and getting off the bus has a divine purpose to which Christ is interceding at the right hand of the Father for them to pursue and discover.
            This life is much more than just school and work. It’s about seeking His plan, living out His love and seeking His will. We are called to live in this world but not of this world. What does that look like?
            “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of    your mind so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good   and acceptable and perfect.” (Roman 12:2)
All we need to do is trust in him, that he can transform our minds and hearts according to His plan. His good, acceptable and perfect will. 


Comments

Popular Posts