Day One: Smooth flights and Accents


On February 9th 2014, I arrived in East London, South Africa. Our flights were very smooth with just enough layover time to catch our connecting flights. The flights were as follows: MinneapolisàAtlantaàJohannesburg àEast London. We were on planes for a long time, especially the fifteen-hour ride from Atl. to Jo-Berg. I sat with some South Africans on the plane. They seemed to have little hope for the improvised areas of South Africa. This was disheartening to hear, but that is why we call God’s work miracles – they seem impossible at first. We watched the sunset through the plane windows on the way to East London. There is something extraordinarily beautiful about that sunset. I literally didn’t stop smiling the whole time.
            Sue, the Director of CATCH Projects and two others from Fort Hare University fetched us from the airport in East London. We arrived at 5p. It’s hot and humid. The lady I traveled with is staying with Sue, and I am staying with another couple. The couple I’m staying with is quite similar to my family. They are huggers too! I love hugs, such a slice of home. We had coffee at the table and chatted about the surrounding area and life. Their windows have burglar bars instead of insect screens. I like the open windows, fresh air! Hopefully nobody try to hop through it though. Sometimes their accent is pretty hard to understand, but I enjoy listening to them. Tomorrow, I’m going to CATCH for the first time to help with Gospel Club. For now, I need time with Jesus and some rest. Goodnight!
p.s. I’m still overwhelmed from leaving. I am going to miss everyone so much, but I knew from seat 22C, looking at the sunset, that this is where God wants me right now. I can never get enough of His peace, which surpasses all understanding.
Phil 4:7   

Comments

Popular Posts