Day 16 - When the sun goes down, my skin will light this room.


 
February 26, 2014
Today was Lisa, the other American’s, last day. I am so overly blessed to have met her. The term on which we met was purely God orchestrated. It’s quite the story. Basically, God told me to prepare to be gone for a semester. Without any plans for where I would end up, I prepared to be… somewhere else. Time was ticking away, and I had zero plans. I started getting nervous. After becoming overwhelmed, I decided to give it up. God asks us to cast all our anxieties and worries upon Him. So I did.
            At the time, I was preparing for a mission trip to Peru and wanted to invest in some Keen hiking shoes. I went to Scheels in the Mankato Mall and the first person I talked with was a saleswoman named Lisa. She asked me why I was buying hiking shoes and I explained about Peru missions. Lisa lit with up with joy as we talked about missions work. She had visited CATCH Projects in East London, South Africa, twice before. Fast-forward a couple of weeks, when I returned from Peru, and we met at Perkins to talk about CATCH. I felt so strongly that this was the place. I knew that I couldn’t travel alone, so I prayed that someone would travel with me. At Perkins, Lisa announced that she was going to CATCH in February. I couldn’t believe it. That timing was perfect. After that point, everything fell into place. We prayed, talked and finalized plans with the Director of CATCH. We traveled to South Africa together and now she is returning back to America and I’m staying. She has shared lots of wisdom with me, especially about safety! Hah, she did mention that she respects my free spirit, but I need to be aware of my surroundings.  She has encouraged me and become another spiritual mother. I am realizing that you can never have too many parents. It’s interesting that God seems to place very concrete and protective people in my life. It’s like I walk around with a blinking neon sign on my back that says, “Keep this one safe, she is rather spontaneous in her actions”. I am a very free person, and I would love to shed the grace that Jesus has shed upon me to everyone. Although, I realize this is within reason and I need be smart.
            Tonight is actually a great example. I went into Mzamomhle Township with Ignite Community Church. This was the church that I attended last Sunday. While I was waiting with a church member on the streets, just outside the township, we got many looks. While cars drove into the township, each head turned to watch me. She laughed and grabbed my arm saying (in a thick African accent), “They are all looking at you because you are white”. We stood on this corner waiting for a taxi for about 25 minutes. This made me a little uneasy because I had all of my belongings with me. Theft is very common in the townships. The girl I stood with seemed relaxed, so I decided not to worry. We got into a taxi, which held eight others already, and headed into the township. When we got out of the taxi, children ran by making comments in Xhosa about the “white girl”. They followed me wherever I went with apprehensive smirks that would giggle when I waved at them. They would run away and then sneak back when they thought I wasn't looking. The church met in a classroom that was part of the high school. All of the windows were barred, trash littered the ground and the desks had accumulated many tattoos over their lifetime. We were the first ones. People started piling in and then the Pastor showed up. We worshiped together and the Pastor shared a word about our spiritual home. The sun was going down. The electricity wasn’t working, so the room got darker and darker. Soon, I could barely see the Pastor. I was the only white person, I felt so white that I could light that room with my skin. After the message, we broke the fast and talked more. Oh and as you can see by the picture, the lights did come on!
            It’s interesting that in a place like that, I feel right at home. When the women stroll into the classroom, harmonizing with the ones already seated, it’s so comforting. The Pastor is very focused on seeking the lost, bringing restoration and then sending them out as Disciples of Christ. The vision of the church is to be a working community that has a heart for the lost and broken. The harvest is plentiful. The workers are few. And our God is very big. Mathew 9:37 I’m just here to be the hands and feet of Jesus. I’m honored to have a South African family in Christ.
Goodnight to all my lovelies back in the States!
xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts