Mzungu travels to Arusha

I have been meeting so many lovely souls here in Tanzania. 

It brings me such great joy to share their marvelous stories; so different from what we know in the United States. 

These past two days I traveled to Arusha, which is 2 hours away from Moshi (where I currently am).

As a solo, white female traveling in East Africa, I was feeling quite nervous.

My first thought at 5am that morning was, "I can call the taxi driver and say I don't want to go anymore."

I prayed for safety and then I grabbed my rusty-red backpack to meet the taxi driver for a ride to the shuttle. 

Myself and two other men loaded the shuttle headed to Arusha in the pre-sunrise darkness. The engine roared to life and we took off. I watched city streets and buildings turn to fields of large daisies like corn fields in Iowa. 

The first rays of sunlight bled into the open sky creating that picturesque African sunrise. 

The bus driver seemed to be on a tight schedule because he was flying down that road, hitting speed bumps like a motocross biker. 

When we arrived at our shuttle stop, I met with a safari driver. The plan was to go to Mt. Meru and do a day hike before retiring at Pepe's Hotel in Arusha later that evening.

The driver told me the trip would cost around $260 for a day hike. For a day hike. I only had $100 on me.

Standing at the dusty shuttle stop, with street marketers vying for my attention, the safari driver looked at me with a "Sorry, we can't help you" kind of face. 

Plan debunked. So early in the trip. 

I asked, "Is there anything adventurous I can do that's less money?" 
"You come with me, we go to town and find a guide. With guide you hike to Massai village and see large waterfall. This will be good."

I thought, "Now we are getting somewhere." 

I hopped into the safari jeep and went to town. They dropped me at an office where a young and very thin guy, rocking Puma's with the laces tied around is ankles, said, "I will be your guide."

Putting all of my trust in this guy I just met, we walked out in to a city of hustling street merchants and buzzing motorcars. We walked and walked. The directions were impossible to follow. 

Finally we committed to a dirt road that led straight up towards Mt. Meru.

The hills were steep. And by steep, I mean steep. We hiked through two villages, a coffee plantation, banana plantation and many smiling children called out "mzungu!!", which means "white person".

I really would like a shirt with bold letters on the front that just reads "MZUNGU", because that is my name here :P

The guide and I hiked very fast. He said,  "You are strong, so we hike fast."

My legs were feelin' the burn but he said I was a good, strong hiker so I had to live up to that!

 Eventually we dropped down a rain forest hillside and into a riverbed. We followed the riverbed to two waterfalls. One like that of twinkle, twinkle, little star and the other like super bass by nicki minaj.

Of course, I had to go under the waterfall! Feeling the water crash down on me was quite spiritual. Freeing. Like all of my worries in life amount to nothing when you know something this strong and beautiful exists.

God exists.

After playing in the water for a bit, we did a little cliff climbing behind the waterfall and then started the hike back. It was 14 miles in all.

When I returned to the guide office, I rode a bodaboda (motorbike) to Pepe's Hotel where a smiling, almost-dredlock-curls of a granola was standing in the hallway with his arms wide open to welcome me!

It was a good friend of mine, Colin.

When we discovered a few months ago that we'd both be in Tanzania (he guiding trips and me volunteering) we had to plan a gathering.

I spent the night there with Colin and other guides from Rustic Pathways.


Sounds like a wonderful program. The people sure show that it is.

In the morning all the guides left and I had until 2:30 by myself until the shuttle would take me back.

Then a blessing found me!

A medical missionary from the states started up conversation with me in the courtyard as I was
drinking coffee.

She took me in like a daughter! We walked to town together, she bought me a new over-the-shoulder bag and then offered me food from her room when we returned. She stayed with me until the shuttle arrived to take me back.

For being as nervous as I was to travel solo, this trip to Arusha showed me that people look out for you. I felt like I was watched over and taken care of the entire trip.

I feel stronger for having completed something that made me nervous.

I feel inspired by the number of friends I gained from traveling solo.

I feel empowered to try new things and gain new experiences.

Trust in the world around you.

God is in everything.

Mt. Meru 






Comments

Popular Posts