Tillamook Trails

The twenties.

Living free and easy, right?

I would like to say so but when you've got student loans, pressure to just 'go for it' in regards to your passions in life while be completely terrified, stress of finding the right city, finding the right friends and the right partner in life, it doesn't feel so free anymore.

It's like Taylor Swift's song 22. "We're happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time. It's miserable and magical..."

The amazing and beautiful thing about this season of life is discovery. Some discoveries end in heartbreak, added confusion, more debt, or in my most recent situation, a smashed in passenger door window and stolen lap-top. That incident happened in Tacoma, Washington while I was job searching. In that same time frame, I had several other setbacks to where it seemed as if life suddenly had crashed in on me.

In the midst of it all, I have found one important thing.

That important thing is this: My life is important and His plan for my life is good.

I recently finished my first ultra race. The course summited two mountains in Oregon. Kings and Elk Mountains. The race was single track and involved an intimidating 5,800ft of elevation gain. I signed up for it almost a year ago and it came in perfect timing. I scrambled up wet rocks, stumbled in the mud several times and ran along ridges feeling like I had elephant's feet. During the last mile, running through the mossy Tillamook forest, I thought about how this race is so ridiculously relatable to being twenty-three.

Just like this ultra, the trail gets difficult and it feels like it'll never end. It feels like it'll be this way forever. But that's just silly. I know the race ends. I know there is a finish line. Just like I know this season in life won't last forever.

Seasons of life change and old problems fade. New problems arise. Along with new problems come new blessings and new opportunities. So why not find peace and joy in the midst of it? Why not enjoy the confusion and instability? It's only this one short season of life.

We can be certain that as long as we have days on this earth, there is a plan and it is good.


photocredit-Tim Gouw

Comments

Popular Posts