Giving twenty-one its dignity back.



What is your first thought of a twenty-first birthday? 

  Is it a step toward adulthood? Is it the first year of being an adult? Is it the last exciting age? Is it the last chance to be young and free? Turning twenty-one usually means that the golden doors of legal alcohol consumption have finally swung open and access has been granted. Twenty-one has gained a reputation of uncoordinated footing, slurred words and shameful actions.
      Twenty-one never wanted this to be its reputation, but it is. It’s a time for experienced drinkers to hit the bars – and actually stay there past 10 o’clock without getting kicked out. It’s also a time for those that have waited patiently for the “legal green-light” to finally indulge. This makes twenty-one very sad. Twenty-one has another side to its personality, but few pay attention to it. It’s a beautiful age of adulthood, independence and responsibility. Twenty-one is still young, very young. Twenty-one is also grown-up and lightly aged by the two decades previous. Twenty-one has changed and learned from its actions. Twenty-one has dignity. Or at least, I hope to give twenty-one its dignity back when we meet.
            Before I met twenty-one, I met a man. I met a man that changed my outlook on life and has directed me to share it. His name is Jesus. I will meet twenty-one on February 5th, which is a couple weeks away from today. Right now, I promise to greet twenty-one with the upmost respect and honor. I pray twenty-one greets me with a new fire in seeking Him, in stepping out and speaking up. I pray 1 Timothy 4: 12 over twenty-one, which states, “Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.”
            In celebration of this meeting, I have decided to abstain from alcohol completely on my twenty-first birthday.  Now, I must say that I am not against having a drink or two. I enjoy having an occasional glass of wine with supper, or a pina colada on the beach. However, alcohol has also burned its way into marriages and caused them to collapse. Alcohol has taken too many lives when it’s behind the wheel. Alcohol has said things that it can’t take back. Alcohol allows a young girl to make decisions she will be ashamed of. Because of the latter personality of alcohol, I’ve decided to celebrate twenty-one without its company. I believe that God created us for a life of purpose instead of fleeting pleasures and guilty (and sick) mornings. I have made this decision out of grief for the ones looking for fulfillment in money, sex and fame. I have made this decision for God. If you feel similar, I encourage you to make the same decision. I’m not ashamed. Romans 1:16.

Comments

Popular Posts